Do you want your establishment to be known as a Certified SAFE BAR?
Become leader in your industry and be known for actively reducing the risk of sexual harassment and assault in Philadelphia by becoming a Certified SAFE BAR.
WOAR certified staff will train you to:
- Identify harassment and other inappropriate behaviors
- Recognize and Respond to problematic and abusive behaviors by safely and effectively intervening
- Promote a culture of respect, safety & support for all
For more information and to schedule trainings, complete the on-line Program Request Form.
Owners & Managers, What is in it for YOU?
Bars, clubs, and restaurants trained by Safe Bars reap many benefits.
- Promotion: WOAR promotes our Certified SAFE BARS on our website, social media, and pamphlets. WOAR will also provide your establishment with a SAFE BARS window decal to enhance your bar’s image as a welcoming place.
- Customer + staff satisfaction: As a SAFE BAR, you actively show your customers and staff your commitment to providing a safe and welcoming environment.
- Staff preparedness: As a SAFE BAR your staff has a greater range of strategies to use in addressing unwanted sexual aggression directed at themselves or at patrons. With staff more able to notice and deal with problems early, sexual aggression can be stopped before getting to the point where you need to file an incident report.
- A better bottom line: Customers who have positive experiences are more likely to return and to tell their friends. On the other hand, even one patron who has a bad experience and leaves with their friends can cost $1,000 in lost tabs over a year. Also, as a SAFE BAR, you can prevent the bad press that comes with an incident – which can be devastating to YOUR Business and YOUR Bottom Line!
It’s easy! SAFE BARS is a staff training that you don’t have to plan or present. WOAR staff facilitate a conversation among your staff about which behaviors are okay and which are not, laying the groundwork for a formal or informal policy.
All of our trainings are customized to fit your staff, your business, and its culture. We don’t tell your staff what to do; rather, we build on their skills to create a safer and more welcoming establishment.
Does It Work?
SAFE BARS builds on the success of similar programs in Washington DC, Arizona and Boston. Research shows that bartenders, bar staff, and young adults who patronize bars are key groups to address in preventing sexual violence. Here is a list of Philadelphia Certified SAFE BARS that have completed the SAFE BAR training have successfully used the SAFE BARS skills!
If you work at or own a bar, club, restaurant, or other alcohol-serving establishment in Philadelphia PA and would like to become a Certified SAFE BAR our WOAR team would be happy to work with you and your staff. For more information or to schedule a SAFE BAR training, complete the on-line Program Request Form