Volunteering with WOAR
As a WOAR direct service volunteer, you will provide crucial supportive counseling to survivors of sexual assault and abuse. Volunteers staff the 24-hour Hotline and meet in-person with sexual assault survivors who are seeking medical attention at Philadelphia Sexual Assault Response Center (PSARC) at 300 E. Hunting Park Avenue, Philadelphia PA 19124. We also occasionally need assistance with agency events, fundraising, educational programs, and mailings.
Your help is vital to WOAR operating its Hotline! Many survivors end up seeking our counseling services after speaking with one of our volunteers so please consider joining our support team.
Volunteers are required to participate in a 40 hour training course to become a Sexual Assault Volunteer Counselor. The training is done in a group setting consisting of presentations, videos, readings and role playing. You will learn about the sexual violence continuum, court proceedings, the forensic rape exam, crisis counseling skills, and agency services. After the training course is completed you will listen in on Hotline calls before doing it on your own. All sessions must be attended.
Spring 2016 SAC Training: FULL
NEXT SAC TRAINING IS FALL 2016
Spring Training Dates
Saturday, February 20th from 9AM-5PM
Saturday, February 27th from 9AM-5PM
Saturday, March 5th from 9AM-5PM
Saturday, March 12th from 9AM-5PM
Saturday, March 19th from 9AM-5PM
The Volunteer Program at WOAR has the following components:
- Initial 40 hour training
- Monthly meetings with fellow volunteers for ongoing support & education
- Online sign-up for volunteer shifts on a first come, first serve basis
- Commitment to a minimum of 15 Hotline hours per month. Hotline calls are taken from the volunteer’s home – allowing volunteers to attend to other tasks when not on Hotline calls. Hotline shifts are evenings, overnights and weekends.
- Provide crisis counseling at PSARC if a survivor is interested in medical accompaniment, from 8am to 11pm.
- Commitment to volunteer with WOAR for at least 1 year.
If you want to join the Volunteer program please complete the online application and return to us with a resume. You will be contacted for an interview. There are volunteer orientations scheduled before each training session usually twice a year.
If you have trouble accessing the form please contact us and we will mail or e-mail you an application.
If you have questions about other volunteer possibilities please contact Siddharth Menon: click here to send an email.