Volunteering with WOAR
As a WOAR direct service volunteer, you will provide crucial supportive counseling to survivors of sexual assault and abuse. Volunteers staff the 24-hour Helpline and meet in-person with sexual assault survivors who are seeking medical attention at Philadelphia Sexual Assault Response Center (PSARC) at 300 E. Hunting Park Avenue, Philadelphia PA 19124. We also occasionally need assistance with agency events, fundraising, educational programs, and mailings.
Your help is vital to WOAR operating its Helpline! Many survivors end up seeking our counseling services after speaking with one of our volunteers so please consider joining our support team.
Volunteers are required to participate in a 40 hour training course to become a Sexual Assault Volunteer Counselor. The training is done in a group setting consisting of presentations, videos, readings and role playing. You will learn about the sexual violence continuum, court proceedings, the forensic rape exam, crisis counseling skills, and agency services. After the training course is completed you will listen in on Helpline calls before doing it on your own. All sessions must be attended.
The Volunteer Program at WOAR has the following components:
- Initial 40 hour training
- Monthly meetings with fellow volunteers for ongoing support & education
- Online sign-up for volunteer shifts on a first come, first serve basis
- Commitment to a minimum of 15 Helpline hours per month. Helpline calls are taken from the volunteer’s home – allowing volunteers to attend to other tasks when not on Helpline calls. Helpline shifts are evenings, overnights and weekends.
- Provide crisis counseling at PSARC if a survivor is interested in medical accompaniment, from 8am to 11pm.
- Commitment to volunteer with WOAR for at least 1 year.
If you want to join the Volunteer program please complete the online application and return to us with a resume. You will be contacted for an interview. There are volunteer orientations scheduled before each training session usually twice a year.
If you have trouble accessing the form please contact us and we will mail or e-mail you an application.
If you have questions about other volunteer possibilities please contact Siddharth Menon: click here to send an email.