Volunteering with WOAR
As a WOAR direct service volunteer, you will provide crucial supportive counseling to survivors of sexual assault and abuse. Volunteers staff the 24-hour Hotline and meet in-person with sexual assault survivors who are seeking medical attention at Philadelphia Sexual Assault Response Center (PSARC) at 300 E. Hunting Park Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19124. We also occasionally need assistance with agency events, fundraising, educational programs, and mailings.
Your help is vital to WOAR operating the Crisis Hotline. Many survivors end up seeking our counseling services after speaking with one of our volunteers, so please consider joining our support team.
Volunteers are required to participate in a 40 hour training course to become a Sexual Assault Volunteer Counselor. The training is done in a group setting consisting of presentations, videos, readings and role playing. You will learn about the sexual violence continuum, court proceedings, the forensic rape exam, crisis counseling skills, and agency services. After the training course is completed, you will listen in on Hotline calls before doing it on your own. All sessions must be attended.
Summer 2017 SAC Training
April 16, 2017
April 25, 2017
April 26, 2017
Summer Training Dates
June 2, 9am-5pm
June 3, 9am-5pm
June 9, 9am-5pm
June 10, 9am-5pm
*If you have submitted an application but have not received an e-mail response, please check your junk/spam folder
The Volunteer Program at WOAR has the following components:
- Initial 40 hour training
- Monthly meetings with fellow volunteers for ongoing support & education
- Online sign-up for volunteer shifts on a first come, first serve basis
- Commitment to a minimum of 15 hotline hours per month.
- Hotline calls are taken from the volunteer’s home, allowing volunteers to attend to other tasks when not on a call. Hotline shifts are evenings, overnights and weekends.
- Provide crisis counseling at PSARC if a survivor is interested in medical accompaniment, from 5pm to 11pm.
- Commitment to volunteer with WOAR for at least 1 year.
If you would like to become a WOAR Volunteer, please complete the online application and submit it with a resume.
If you have questions about other volunteer possibilities please contact Siddharth Menon: click here to send an email.