Campus Sexual Assault

Campus Sexual Assault – What You Need to Know

It is important to remember that reporting an assault to your school is different from reporting to the police.

If you want to report the assault to local police you must call 911 or go to your local police department.

Know all your rights under the Title IX Education Amendment, which requires your school to address sexual violence.

Federal law requires that universities must provide many things to an individual who is reporting a sexual assault including:

  • Responding promptly to the report
  • Informing you of the policies & procedures of the reporting process
  • Conduct an investigation
  • Offering you confidential counseling & support services both on and off campus

All universities that receive federal funding are required to report their crime statistics. This information is made publicly accessible through the university’s annual security report.

The Center for Public Integrity posts various articles and information about campus assault:

The National Sexual Violence Resource Center carries a wide array of resources for survivors and campus administrators about the laws, statistics, and prevention efforts:

Learn more about the Jeanne Cleary Act, a consumer protection act enacted in 1990: